Sharing a bread recipe is tricky. Amounts of flour and liquid, timing of the rise and the bake are all subject to variables of temperature, humidity and peculiarities of one’s oven.
Having said that, this recipe is worth sharing. My recommendation is that you go online to the actual source where you will find helpful hints, and even a video! What I have posted here is an abbreviated version that worked for me.
The recipe (“the best, easiest no-knead brioche buns”) comes from Alexandra’s Kitchen. It’s an adaptation of a recipe that originated in Alexandra Stafford’s book, Bread, Toast, Crumbs. A book, by the way, that is well worth owning!
4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons instant yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/3 cups cold water
4 tablespoons butter
for the egg wash: 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water
3. Heat the milk and butter together until the butter is melted. Pour this hot mixture into the cold water-egg mixture. The combined mixture should be perfectly lukewarm. Add it to the flour bowl and stir with a spatula until you have a sticky dough ball.
4. Cover the bowl and let rise in a warm area until doubled. This took about 1 1/2 hours for me.
5. Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a work surface lightly dusted with flour. Divide into 8 to 10 equal portions. Using as much flour as necessary, roll each portion into a ball. At this point, I flattened the balls somewhat before placing them on a parchment-lined sheet pan.
6. Let rise until the rolls puff and feel light to touch. Approximately 30-45 minutes. Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
7. Brush rolls with egg wash. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Transfer rolls to a wire rack to cool.
Looks yummy 😋 We all enjoyed our toast This morning Thanks a bunch MJ❤️ A bbq soon with some strawberry shortcakes My biscuits came good! 😉
Wish things were different so we could All get together as we usually do. I’m glad both Alex & Elliot are here Today. We’ll have our firepit going later this evening And roast some marshmallows, Thinking of you. Xo J.
Sent from my iPhone
I made these yesterday and they came out great!