The picture doesn’t do justice to this really delicious, points-friendly meal. I adapted the lentils and vegetables base for this dish from a Barefoot Contessa recipe. Serves two.
1/2 cup dried lentils
1 TBS olive oil
2 cups diced onions
1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves (or 1/4 tsp. dried)
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper (scant)
3/4 cup diced celery
3/4 cup diced carrots
1 large clove garlic, minced
3/4 cup chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
2 TBS tomato paste
1 TBS red wine vinegar
1. Pour the lentils into a bowl. Cover with boiling water for at least 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Saute the onions, thyme, salt and pepper over medium heat until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic for the last couple of minutes.
3. Add the drained lentils, carrots, celery, stock, and tomato paste. Stir well.
4. Cover the sauté pan and simmer for about 20 minutes until the lentils and vegetables are tender.
5. Add the red wine vinegar. Check for seasoning.
6. Use as a side for grilled salmon.