There’s an ebb and flow to many aspects of life. At one point, my Spiralizer had a place on the counter. Now, rarely used, it remains tucked on a shelf in a utility closet.
My days of creative spiralizing are over, but for one thing. Combining the strands of a spiralized zucchini with pasta cuts the carbs in half and adds a satisfying crunch. It’s worth taking the Spiralizer out of hiding for this one dish alone.
Method: (for 2)
1. Spiralize a medium zucchini using the “spaghetti” blade. ( or buy a package of spiralized zucchini in the grocery store!)
2. Place in a colander in the sink.
3. Boil 1/4 pound of pasta in salted water according to package directions. Pour the cooked pasta, water and all, over the zucchini strands. The boiling water and hot pasta will partially cook the zucchini.
4. Return to the pot. Toss with fresh basil or a little pesto if you like.
5. The pasta/zucchini combo is now ready to be sauced.
Note: Pictured is actually a combination of leftovers. I had a couple of chicken cutlets left over from the previous night’s dinner of cutlets topped with salad, and a container of *artichoke sauce in the freezer.
Artichoke sauce: Saute an onion and some garlic. Add a can of artichokes (drained and rinsed) and a can of chopped tomatoes. Salt, pepper, red pepper flakes. Simple and good.