Italian sausages and peppers are a treat under most circumstances. They are often served on a crusty bun. Having them as part of a cookout, outside on a summer day, with grease dribbling down your chin is a fun part of the season.
The weather wasn’t great last night, so we planned to eat indoors. Frank suggested that we have the sausages and peppers with mashed potatoes. I must admit that I was a little skeptical at first, but one taste made me a convert. We will definitely have this again!
Amounts depend on number of people served.
- Grill sweet Italian sausages until fully cooked.
- Slice onions and red and/or green bell peppers and saute them in olive oil, salt, pepper, and a pinch of sugar. Add some minced garlic when they are close to caramelized.
- Add some chopped tomatoes. I used a few canned whole tomatoes and chopped them. Add some of the juice as well. Season with salt and pepper and cook down for a short while. Add shredded fresh basil.
- Add the cooked sausages to the mixture and simmer to combine the flavors.
- At this point, you can cut the sausages into chunks or leave them whole.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.