I adapted this recipe from one that I found on the Inspiralized blog. It’s a definite keeper. Hard to go wrong with a complete side dish for any kind of protein. It’s also simple to make and really good. The following recipe serves two generously, but it could easily be doubled.
2-3 medium red or yukon gold potatoes
1/2 cup frozen peas, defrosted
olive oil, kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
2-3 TBS pesto (homemade or purchased)
1. Peel and spiralize the potatoes, using the “spaghetti” blade.
2. Film a frying pan with olive oil. Heat over medium to medium-high heat.
3. Add the potato “noodles” to the hot pan. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat with the oil.
4. Cover the pan and cook until the potatoes are fully cooked. Uncover the pan periodically to toss the strands around. This should take about 6-7 minutes. Put the cooked potato noodles into a bowl.
5. Run hot water over the frozen peas. Add them to the potatoes. Add pesto, a tablespoon at a time, until the potatoes and peas are nicely coated. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Note: It’s too early for my baby basil plants to be lush enough to harvest for pesto, so I bought prepared pesto at the market. The trick is to buy the pesto in the refrigerated case usually near the deli, not the shelf-stable version in a jar.