I’ve posted the recipe for this cake before, but the season is right for a repeat. It’s too simple and too good not to keep sharing until everyone I come in contact with has the recipe. Today, blueberries top the cake, but really, any fresh, juicy fruit works well.
It’s really a one pan shortcake. Top with some whipped cream or ice cream and dessert is served.
1 1/2 C all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
6 TBS butter, softened
1 C sugar
1/2 C milk ( I use 1/4 C sour cream and 1/4 C 1% milk )
1 tsp. vanilla
1 lb. ( pint box) blueberries (or strawberries, or peaches.) Enough to cover the top.
2 TBS sugar for sprinkling on top
1. Preheat oven to 350; grease a 9″ pie pan with butter.
2. Beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
3. Add the egg, milk and vanilla and mix to combine.
4. Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together. With the mixer on low, add the dry mixture to the wet. Put the batter in the greased pie pan. Arrange the fruit very close together to cover the batter. Sprinkle with sugar.
5. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes; reduce to 325 and bake for an additional hour. The cake should be firm to the touch.
6. Let cool at least to lukewarm before serving. It’s great warm, at room temperature, or even cold.