I learned a trick recently to ensure tender shrimp in a dish. Cook it once; not twice. Most recipes require that you sauté the shrimp separately and then add them to a sauce to be reheated. This can often result in tough shrimp.
This is a simple recipe for a mildly spicy shrimp dish served over pasta.
1. Saute a thinly sliced onion and a thinly sliced red bell pepper in a little olive oil until almost soft.
2. Add about 4 cloves of minced garlic, about 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes and a little salt and pepper. Saute a minute or two more.
3. Add a large can of crushed tomatoes. Season with a bit of salt and pepper and a healthy pinch of sugar. Cook until slightly thickened. About 5 minutes.
4. Now for the trick. Add a pound of peeled and deveined raw shrimp to the tomato sauce. Cook gently until the shrimp is firm.
5. Remove from the heat. Stir in about 2 TBS grated Parmesan cheese, a tablespoon or two of fresh lemon juice, and a handful go shredded fresh basil.
6 Serve over the pasta of your choice. Garnish with additional fresh basil.