This is a fresh cranberry cake baked in a pie pan. It’s easy to make and totally delicious. It’s also a really nice addition to the seasonal rotation of apple and pumpkin pies.
This is adapted from an Ina Garten recipe in Barefoot Contessa, How Easy Is That?
Bag (12 oz.) of fresh cranberries
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced
1/2 C light brown sugar
1 TBS grated orange zest
1/4 C freshly squeezed orange juice
1 1/8 tsp. cinnamon, divided
1 C (plus 1 TBS) sugar
1 stick of butter, melted and slightly cooled
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 C sour cream
1 C all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1. Combine the cranberries, apple, brown sugar, *orange zest, orange juice, and 1 tsp. of the cinnamon in a 10 inch glass pie pan. ( *If you don’t have a fresh orange, 1/4 C of regular orange juice works.)
2.Beat the eggs with an electric mixer. Add 1 cup of the sugar, the melted butter, vanilla and sour cream. Beat until combined. Slowly add the flour and salt.
3. Pour the batter over the fruit mixture in the pie pan, covering it completely.
4. Combine the remaining tablespoon of granulated sugar and 1/8 tablespoon of cinnamon. Sprinkle over the batter.
5. Bake in a pre-heated 325 oven for approximately an hour. Tester should come out clean, and the fruit should be bubbling around the edges.
6. Serve warm or at room temperature.
7. Ice cream or whipped cream is a nice addition.