I had forgotten about this simple cake. Funny how we go through stages. For a while, a year or so ago, I was making this all the time. I stumbled across the recipe recently, and it’s now back in the rotation.
Lemon Cake ( adapted from Barefoot Contessa at Home )
1 1/2 C flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 C plain yogurt (whole milk)
1 1/3 C sugar (divided)
2 tsp grated lemon zest
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 C vegetable oil
1/3 C lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
1. Grease and flour an 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch loaf pan. I use parchment paper as well. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Using a whisk, combine 1 cup of the sugar, the yogurt, eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla.
3. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the wet ingredients.
4. Add the oil and mix well.
5. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes. Check with a cake tester.
6. While the cake is baking, cook the 1/3 cup lemon juice with 1/3 cup of sugar until the mixture is clear. Set aside.
7. Let the baked cake cool in the pan for at least 10 minutes. Then take it out of the pan and place it on a rack set on a sheet pan. If you line the sheet pan with parchment paper, the clean up will be much easier.
8. Slowly pour the lemon/sugar syrup over the warm cake. Let the cake cool in that position.
9. This cake is great as it is, but if you want a glaze, combine a cup of confectioners’ sugar and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice. Pour it over the cake.