I clipped this recipe out of the Boston Globe more years ago than I can count. I copied it onto a card when the original scrap of newspaper ripped in half. Bottom line: I can’t credit the originator of the recipe. All I know is that it’s a definite keeper!
1 C sugar
2 C diced, pared apples
1 beaten egg
1/2 C vegetable oil
1 1/2 C flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/3 C raisins or chopped dates (optional)
1/3 C chopped walnuts (optional)
1. Add sugar to apples; let stand 10 minutes.
2. Blend oil and egg into apple mixture.
3. Whisk the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon together and add to the wet ingredients.
4. Mix with a wooden spoon until well blended.
5. Add the raisins and/or nuts if using them.
6. Pour into a well greased and floured 13 by 9 inch pan. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.
7. When cool, dust with powdered sugar, if desired.