I posted this recipe a few months ago under the title of Simple Strawberry Cake. Yesterday, I made it with peaches. A short time ago, we had the blueberry version. Point being, any juicy, seasonal fruit works! This recipe needs to be in every file. It’s simple to make and totally versatile. A one pan shortcake. All you need is whipped cream or ice cream to complete the ultimate summer dessert.
Simple (Any Fruit) Cake
1 1/2 C all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
6 TBS butter, softened
1 C sugar
1/2 C milk ( I use 1/4 C sour cream and 1/4 C 1% milk )
1 tsp. vanilla
1 lb. strawberries (or blueberries, or peaches ) Enough to cover the top.
2 TBS sugar for sprinkling on top
1. Preheat oven to 350; grease a 9″ pie pan with butter.
2. Beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
3. Add the egg, milk and vanilla and mix to combine.
4. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt. With the mixer on low, add the dry mixture. Put the batter in the greased pie pan. Arrange the fruit very close together to cover the batter. Sprinkle with sugar.
5. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes; reduce to 325 and bake for an additional hour. The cake should be firm to the touch.