This cake is very similar in taste and consistency to strawberry shortcake, but it’s baked in a 9″ pie pan. All you have to do is cut it into wedges, top with whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream and you have a great dessert. The original recipe caught my eye in a Penzey’s Spice catalog over a year ago. Since then, I’ve made it with blueberries and peaches, in addition to strawberries. It’s a great basic recipe to have on hand.
Strawberry Cake (somewhat adapted)
1 1/2 C all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
6 TBS butter, softened
1 C sugar
1/2 C milk ( I use 1/4 C sour cream and 1/4 C 1% milk )
1 tsp. vanilla
1 lb. strawberries ( cut the small ones in half and the larger ones in quarters )
2 TBS sugar for sprinkling on top
1. Preheat oven to 350; grease a 9″ pie pan with butter.
2. Beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
3. Add the egg, milk and vanilla and mix to combine.
4. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt. With the mixer on low, add the dry mixture.
5. Put the batter in the greased pie pan. Arrange the strawberries (cut side down) very close together to cover the batter. Sprinkle with sugar.
5. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes; reduce to 325 and bake for an additional hour. The cake should be firm to the touch.
This cake is seriously simple and seriously good! I had a box of strawberries in the frig that was getting ignored for some reason. One bowl and a few ingredients and a cake was cooling on the counter. The blueberry version is even easier. You just pour them on. No slicing required.